Wednesday 11 July 2012

When you leave me alone, by Piano Magic

I'm okay for a couple of hours
and then, like a fog, your absence erases all details
and I can't keep warm

so the (...) is always (...)
and the cups pile up around the sink
mocking the hours
I re-position inanimate objects
so they have a better view of the garden
and I move ornaments
so their shadows are more pronounced


I stay awake until early hours
watching minor westerns
anything to avoid getting in a cold empty bed

I play that record you always find melancholic
Red House Painters
stars (...)
Forget to take my medicine
and then I walk up the hill
and stand up on the street corner
and all weathers
as if like a lighthouse
I could somehow recklessly show you the way back

the clock sometimes seems to hold its seconds
and the sky sometimes seems to hold the birds

When you leave me alone
I become who I was before:
a two-piece jigsaw
with one piece missing

I plug into the old answering voice machine
to listen to friends I've lost
their voice is like (...)
and the bar you don't like
I talk about you too much
and I know I'm talking about you too much
but I can't shake you
'cause I don't want to shake you

I wear the same shirt for days
Don't shave
Sleep on the couch
Spend hours watching the dust in the sunlight
thinking: "will this dust last longer than both of us?".

When you leave me alone, 
I retract,
I'm okay for a couple of hours
then, like a fog, your absence erases all details
and I can't keep warm

[the possible transcription]


No comments:

Post a Comment