Wednesday 10 February 2010

Alice

I met her when she was much of a woman-child.
In her eyes I could see the eagerness of a newborn, wanting to feed from the world as there was no tomorrow. Soon enough I've learned she was capable of so much humanity as an orphan, and her hair, when struck by light or the wind, was the proof that God existed in each living being.

Once, I showed her the sea, and she just stood by the shore, sinking her bare feet in the sand, revolving them like in a sexy twisted veil dance. I remember as if it was today, that I kneeled down and held her foot, brought it close to me, to my chest, took off the sand of her feet and kissed them lightly. She told me she would never forget that moment, that no one had ever kissed her feet before.

There this other time, before, when she asked me to take her to a high place and when I took her to a high mount near a place called strangely the Blue Lagoon, once we climb it, I could hear her open her nostrils and absorb the surrounding wind. Next, everything stood still: all the forests at sight, filled with solitary pines and eucalyptus just stopped as to listen to the words she pronounced next, "We are gods standing in our thrones and watching the small men below."
She asked me if I believed in her, and I said, without hesitating, "Of course".

Today when I think about it, I believe she was a kind of a goddess, just passing some time among us, ordinary men. The way time stopped and went back and forth and never happened at all, because of her voice; everything grown, everything shrunken, by her hands, and all was like a dream-life just for her hair and her feet. She was the wonderland I never knew. And her lips were sealed and yet they've chanted a thousand hymns of joy. Alice was my prize on earth, an angel sent to erase my sorrows and give me better tomorrows. Now, I miss her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment